YOUNG GAMERS AND GAMBLERS EDUCATION TRUST (YGAM)
Young Gamers and Gamblers Education Trust (YGAM) is a national charity with a social purpose to inform, educate, safeguard and build digital resilience amongst young and vulnerable people.
Helping them to make informed decisions and understand the consequences around gambling and gaming.
This is achieved through evidence-led, evaluated and assured education programmes and resources for anyone that works with or cares for young and vulnerable people, including teachers, youth workers, community volunteers and mental health specialists. The charity was set up in 2014, following Lee, Anne and Keith’s devastating experiences with gambling-related harm and lived experience continues to be at the heart of everything we do.
In collaboration with GamCare we are delivering the Young Peoples Gambling Harms Prevention Programme. Our City & Guilds Assured training is free and suitable for teachers and youth workers who are in a position to deliver sessions directly to young people.
Our 90-minute digital workshops cover:
- an overview of how young people are increasingly exposed to gaming and gambling, and the increasingly blurred lines between the two.
- the influence of advertising, particularly around sporting events.
- the role of social media, in game purchases, loot boxes and Esports.
- the signs to look out for when an individual is at risk and where to seek help.
- a look at our resources that have been developed specifically to support practitioners to deliver to and support young people in educational and non-educational settings.
We also have a Parent Hub website (www.parents.ygam.org) which provides parents and carers with expert advice and guidance on a wide range of topics such as in-game purchasing, loot boxes, parental controls and identifying signs of harms. Lots of information and activities to keep your family and children safe in a digital world.
YGAM also supports students to enjoy university free from gaming and gambling-related harm through it’s Student Hub (www.students.ygam.org). Developed with students for students, this resource provides those in higher education with the knowledge to understand the potential risks associated with gaming and gambling.
National Young People’s Gambling Harms Prevention Programme – Through YGAM is a City and Guilds digitally certificated CPD offer