- To promote quality youth work with young people in the voluntary youth work sector
- To support implementation of the National Youth Work Strategy for Wales by assisting the voluntary youth work sector, including CWVYS members, to engage with the Strategy
- To support the ethos of Extending Entitlement: supporting young people in Wales and to work in partnership with other organisations to enable young people to realise their full potential
- To represent the voluntary youth work sector at a Wales level with the Welsh Government in relation to youth work, youth policy, evaluation and research and youth participation in decision-making
- To collaborate with the maintained youth service in Wales and to plan for a stronger independent and integrated voice for the youth work sector in Wales
Through its regional structures and regional officers, statutory membership of all local authority CYPPs and roles such as co-chairing Youth Work Alliance Wales strategic forum and chairing the cross sector Youth Work in Wales Review Group; CWVYS works in partnership with the local authorities and promotes an integrated approach to provision for young people and youth workers.
CWVYS is also an active member of the 5 Nations Group, the Third Sector Partnership Council, Third Sector/Ministerial Groups and a range of national and UK bodies and projects.
CWVYS has 98 member organisations ranging from national bodies with many constituent youth groups to more locally or regionally-based organisations.
CWVYS gains considerable strength and resources from its membership but it works for and with the voluntary youth sector as a whole, the Welsh Government, the local authorities in Wales and the Welsh Local Government Association.